Last week, I shared with you all my yummy Mild Chilli Con Carne and if some of you noticed in some of the photos it was accompanied by what looked like yellow cake, well I am here today to share with you, it was scrumptious cornbread and here is the lovely recipe as promised.
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 1 small can sweetcorn, drained
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease pan with butter using a paper towel
- In large bowl combine all ingredients together until it's like cake batter, add sweetcorn in last
- Pour in greased pan
- Bake for 20 minutes on top rack
- Use a tooth pick to check middle is cooked through
- Allow to cool before cutting
- Alternatively you can pour batter into a muffin tray to make individual mini cornbreads. Cook times will vary depending on oven. Please watch closely.
I have fond memories of eating cornbread as a child, mostly with chilli but it really does go with any soup or stew. I even like it on it’s own with coffee for an afternoon snack, especially when made into mini muffins. If you are making your cornbread into mini muffins, they are also great for picnics, for kids too.
When pairing it with chilli, why not try crumbling it on top? That’s my favorite way to eat my chilli and cornbread. Or better yet, pour your chilli on top of a square of cornbread. Either way, the two flavors together, perfectly compliment each other. Try it and let me know what you think!