It’s not widely known that Buba is deadly allergic to nuts on my blog. It’s something that I have struggled with since the awful day we found out. If you know me outside of my blog you will know that I ‘used’ to be obsessed with anything peanut butter. Peanut butter reeses, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, to just a spoonful before bed, I was always eating peanut butter. The very first Christmas after “it” happened I was devastated that not only the way we lives our lives had changed but all my favorite holiday recipes had nuts in them.
It’s been three years on and I was ever so excited when my friends came to the rescue and introduced me to Wowbutter. It is fake peanut butter, that taste EXACTLY like the real deal but made from soy. I really didn’t believe it until they brought some home for me to try out. Now, I am back to enjoying all the foods and desserts I love and here to share them all with you over the coming months.
Even though Wowbutter is in our lives now I still don’t think I will ever give any to Buba just for the fear factor that he might get confused and think he can now have it and try it when he isn’t around us. Maybe when he is old enough to know we have something different at home. As a kid I think he would get confused because it looks the same, taste the same, and even smells the same.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup soft, brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup softened, butter
- 1/3 cup Wowbutter (a peanut butter substitute -NO NUTS)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup milk, dark, or white chocolate chips (your choice)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Wowbutter
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl mix together butter, sugar, brown sugar, egg, Wowbutter
- Add vanilla, baking soda, salt
- Mix in oats and flour slowly
- Grease the pan of your choice, you can use a 9 x 13 baking pan, or two circle cake pans or even a smaller cookie sheet
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown
- Spread your chocolate chips immediately on top of your golden brown oats when they come out of the oven and wait 5 minutes until completely melted
- Let chocolate harden or set in freezer to speed the process
- While your chocolate is setting, mix together your frosting ingredients and set aside
- When your chocolate is set, spread your Wowbutter frosting on top
- To spruce it up, add some chocolate stars or chocolate sprinkles on top!
- Please note if you have a soy allergy Wowbutter is made of soy!
It’s so nice to have a peanut butter substitute in the house now. I am back to peanut butter & jelly sandwiches a classic from home as well as whipping up all my holiday favorite recipes. These peanut butter chocolate oatmeal bars are only one of many recipes to come so watch this space over the next few weeks!