Winter is coming…the cold days are upon us now. It’s time to get those hearty soup recipes out that warm us back up on a cold winter day. You know the soups that not only warm us but that we love dipping hot crusty bread into? Yup, those soup recipes are some of my favorite recipes to make in winter time for the family. I have always made homemade soups for my kids so they love it too.
Having loved spicy food all my life, I love anything that has a kick to it. My husband can take or leave it but my daughter is just like her mother, the hotter the better. While you can make this hotter by adding red chilli flakes or you can make it mild as this recipe calls for. Either way, it’s a good one to make in large batches and warming up it up after a cold walk through the park or a long day out at work.
- 1 pound chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 (6.8 oz) package Spanish-style rice mix
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- Dice chicken into small cubes and cook in frying pan with onion and garlic
- Add rice, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, peas, celery and water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes
- Serve hot with crusty bread and grated mozzarella on top
- Why not try something different and swirl a spoonful of creme fraiche on top.
Why not pin the photo below for later and let me know what you think using the hashtag #letstalkfoodstyle I have started my own instagram for just my food captures here too. If anyone fancies following me along as I create more easy family recipes to share and love with your loved ones and more food styling as I practice, practice, practice. You can share your version of my soup with me on social media too, just tag @letstalkmommy on facebook, twitter, pinterest or instagram.
What is your favorite soup to make in the winter time? Are you a family that loves stews more than soups? How about those favorite soups to for dipping crusty bread in? Definitely perfect to warm up on these cold winter evenings ahead.
Linking up to #RecipeoftheWeek