Easter is just around the corner, each year, I like to create something new and fun in the kitchen. While there are your more traditional Easter treats to make with the kids I wanted to create something above and beyond that. So this year I created the Ultimate Easter Egg Cake including those infamous cadbury creme eggs and those addictive mini eggs too.
Over the years, we have really made the most when it comes to celebrating Easter. It’s a big deal in SO many different ways. It’s probably the one year too that I go all out in the crafts, decorating the house, and the fun baking weekends. We always have a mini Easter egg hunt too.
The last two years for Easter we have spent with Mr P family in Ireland. It’s such a lovely part of the world to visit and so blessed we get to experience it like a local. We visit castles, walk the fields, shop at the mini markets, and all the cousins catch up. I love just shutting down from work a bit and spending so much time with the family outdoors. There is always something to do or somewhere to go explore together.
As you can see, I am a big fan of Easter times for some many reasons and this year I really have added a whole other reason to fall in love with this holiday – My Ultimate Easter Egg Cake doesn’t just have everything I can think of that is associated with treats and Easter but it was so pretty I didn’t want to actually eat it too. Think Cadbury Creme Eggs, Mini Eggs, Rice Krispy Treats, Buttercream frosting, Sprinkles. It has everything!
- 8 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispy Cereal
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons butter
- cooking spray
- 5oz room temperature butter
- 10oz icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- food coloring
- 1 pack mini eggs
- 1 pack cadbury creme eggs
- 1 container of multi-colored sprinkles
- Melt butter on medium heat and melt in marshmallows, stir constantly
- Add cereal and quickly take off heat
- Add half the sprinkles container, save the rest to decorate
- In two circle greased cake pans, separate rice krispy treat in two equal parts and let harden
- In a small ramekin put same thickness as cake layers for the middle top rice krispy
- Pop out your rice krispy treats and get ready to add frosting and decorations on top.
- Cream butter together slowly half of the powdered sugar until smooth
- Add remaining powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk until smooth
- If necessary add second tablespoon
- Stir in food coloring of your choice (I used two colors pink and yellow, in separate bowls)
- Put a thin layer of frosting on your first rice krispy cake
- Add mini eggs in a circle pattern
- Add a layer of frosting to the bottom of the second rice krispy cake
- Gently adding it on top of mini eggs
- Add frosting to the top of the second rice krispy cake
- Cut cadbury eggs carefully in half and place in a circle with mini eggs between each one
- Add sprinkles
- Position your mini rice krispy cake from ramekin in the middle of cadbury eggs
- Add a little frosting on top and three mini eggs to finish the cake
- Why not use Cadbury caramel eggs if you prefer instead of creme eggs?
Like all my recipes they are so quick and easy to make and most of them the kids absolutely love jumping in to help make them with you. This recipe is no exception. The kids were right there smearing frosting, lining up the mini eggs into colors, and ready to sprinkle the whole thing to finish. I love getting my kids helping out in the kitchen and teaching them a few things along the way about baking and cooking. Plus, they love the clean up. I don’t mean washing the dishes. They lick clean the spoons, bowls, whisks you name it.
Why not PIN this to your Easter board for later inspiration. You can make as many layers as you like with this recipe and go as Easter egg crazy or not. It’s totally up to you. I would love to see your version and don’t forget to tag me in @letsalkmommy on social media so I can reshare!
Linking up to #Recipeoftheweek