This year I wanted to put our creative caps on and make our own advent calendars; partly due to my son’s allergies and partly because I don’t think he needs the sugar. In the end, I didn’t have a lot of time or materials and it is the 10th already, so I had to improvise this year.
I found a Christmas countdown hanger, where you can move the snowflake each day into a new pocket to countdown until Christmas is here. The pockets were perfect to put my own treats or treasures in and use as our advent calendar. I added red ribbon to the hanger for easy hanging above the fireplace.
I decided I wanted to make it treats every other day and activities on the alternative days. I came up with 12 activities we could all do as a family and wrote them down on a piece of paper. I, then rolled the pieces of paper up and put them in the mini pockets. I used Goodies Mini Oaty Bites as the treats, they were a perfect fit. Buba is in love with these, to him, they are better than chocolate.
The activities I came up with are simple ideas that we probably would do anyway. So if you are doing an activities advent calendar don’t make it too hard for yourself. Christmas is busy enough with kids and to do lists.
1. Go see Santa!
2. Make Namma & Papa in America a Christmas card.
3. Go to the toy store and let the kids pick out one present for each other.
4. Make a gingerbread house.
5. Sing Christmas carols and dance around the house.
6. Take presents to our local children’s charity shop.
7. Decorate Christmas cookies.
8. Make a homemade Christmas Tree ornament.
9. See the Coca-Cola Truck.
10. Go to the “newbies” movies (a movie showing where you bring your babies/toddlers) bonus for all of us.
11. Arts & Craft Day – (I am not good with messy but this day they can play with paints, playdoh, markers, crayons and do whatever arts and crafts they want, all day long.)
12. Go to the Christmas Market.
Our advent calendar turned out great, with little time or effort. A £10 Christmas countdown that has pockets and can reuse every year, a bag of Goodies treats from Tescos, Paper, Pen and a little creativity.
Walla, an Advent Calendar, our way!