We have only lived near Preston for a few years now and when I say, years, you probably think by now we should know more about the area we live in. Having only moved near Preston a few weeks before Buba was born and Missy Moo soon followed, we have yet to get to know our surrounding area. There are so many things to do as a family near where we live and now that the kids are slowly cutting naps out and getting older we are exploring around us.
Here is ten family fun activities on our ‘to do’ list.
1. Go Ape Rivington The UK’s No.1 Forest Adventure. This outdoor family adventure is high on my list but the kids need to be a little older then they are now. But I mention it as Mr P and I want to do it without the kids first. I have heard the views from it are amazing.
2. Blackpool Zoo Who doesn’t love the zoo and all it has to offer for a family day of fun.
3. Ribble Steam Railway I think the kids would especially love this as they love trains. It has a newly built shop and museum. The railway crosses the Preston Marina, by a swing bridge, and runs alongside the diverted River Ribble.
4. Fired 4 U I keep saying I want the kids to get more into crafting and making things as a family. This would be great for a rainy day. You can paint pottery with a wide range of tools, then you leave it to be fired or decoupage it and take it home.
5. Brockholes Nature Reserve is labeled the flagship nature reserve of the Lancashire Wildlife Trust. It has hundreds of acres to explore but don’t forget your wellies. We love visiting nature reserves with the kids but I really need to buy Mr P some men’s hunter wellies like the rest of us have. Our last nature reserve exploring ruined his nice shoes. Nature reserves are great for having family fun events on. Brockholes has a great play area too, a bonus for my kids.
6. Hoghton Tower is a castle. There is a tour to learn all about the Knighting of the Loin and other tales including scary ghost ones! There are dungeons, a witch’s kitchen, a dolls house collection, walled gardens with turrets and ramparts. I love making up stories about knights and princesses and this would be great to take the kids to on a family day out with one of our stories in mind.
7. The Space Centre This is fantastic for sensory learning involving sounds, light and textures, including the Infinity Hut, the Sparkle Cave and Moving Light Scanners! My kids would love this although my eyes are a bit sensitive to certain blue lights so I would have to be careful.
8. Blackburn Ice Arena I am most excited for when my two get old enough to do more big kid activities like skating, and disco parties. I am sure we will go more than once or twice here. I used to love ice skating so much as kid and I hope my two love it too. It’s a great activity to do as a family. I have so many fond memories of my own big family all going to our ice rink together. I just might have to bring the bubble wrap for Mr P. He isn’t too coordinated when it comes to activities like this.
9. Harris Museum & Art Gallery My mother and I love going to museums and we have my whole life. I want that same eagerness to learn about history and art for my two. I think it’s important to expose our children to a variety of different cultures and art as they grow up. This one sounds like a family friendly one too.
10. Lytham St Annes Beach Donkey rides on the sand, you say! We are in!!! The pier has been renovated, and the children’s playgrounds would keep my two monkeys entertained. If you are looking for a good old fashion family day out Lytham is famous for it’s green windmill, cafes, ice cream parlours and municipal gardens.
That’s ten amazing family fun activities to do near Preston. I can’t believe I didn’t realize how much there was to do so close to home. It really does just take a minute to do some research and get to know your local surroundings.
Have you been to any of these places? I would love to know what you think or what you recommend? What great family fun activities do you have near you? Comment below!