It’s time to start making those spring/summer party nibbles. I always think that when the weather starts getting warmer there seems to be more parties. I don’t know if that’s just because more people were born in the warmer months (says something about those colder months doesn’t it?) or if more people just save up there party energy until they can get outside or have the lighter evenings to host more parties. I have been working on my party nibbles and seeing what I can create.
Savoury Party Snacks
I have been working on my party nibbles and seeing what I can create. They are all easy, fun, and great for adults as much as they are for children. I know kids usually think that sweet treats, cakes and candy is what makes a good party, but with the right savoury party nibbles you can win them right over!
I love having a big bowl of baba ganoush out of the table with crudities and flat bread for everyone to dig in and help themselves, or ham and cucumber snack bites. My samphire brocolli galettes are always super popular if I make them bite size for parties, but this time I wanted something I knew my kids would really love.
Ham & Cheese Party Nibbles
Ham and cheese is a classic combination, but I wanted to make something small and easy to pick up and eat at a party that would still be full of flavour. Buying the pastry ready made means it’s quick and easy to make, and less than 10 minutes in the oven means you can have them cooked fresh for your guests without spending ages in the kitchen. What’s not to love?!
Fancy some extra flavour? If you’re not sharing these with the kids there are some extra changes you can make. Replacing half of the cheese with swiss cheese like Emmenthal gives you a much stronger flavour. A little bit of cracked black pepper on top is delicious – or a sprinkle of cayenne pepper before you bake gives a little kick. There’s no need to go overboard though, the great thing about these ham and cheese party snacks is how quick and easy they are to make.
Ham and Cheese Party Nibbles
- One sheet Jus Rol puff pastry
- 1/2 cup ham diced
- 8 teaspoons tomato sauce or pizza sauce
- 1/2 grated mozzarella cheese
- chopped chives to decorate
- Taking puff pastry out of the fridge for at least 10 mins before starting
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Using a circle cookie cutter, cut eight circles out of your sheet of puff pastry
- Place on a non grease cookie sheet
- Place a teaspoon of tomato sauce in the middle of each circle and spread out leaving a little edge clear for the puff pastry to puff up
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top of the sauce, again leaving the sides clear
- Place a few pieces of diced ham in the middle or any left over meat you have in the house
- Add a tiny bit more cheese on top of ham
- Bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until puffed and golden brown, watch closely.
- Sprinkle freshly chopped chives on top to serve
This is great for party nibbles or for the kids on the weekend after a long playdate. You can put anything on top you like. Why not try chicken instead of ham? Use your leftovers so they don’t go to waste.
Not Just For Parties
The beauty of these ham and cheese bites is that they don’t just have to be for parties. The are great for dinner at kids playdates, of left to cool and sent to school in your kids lunchbox. You could even take them on a picnic for a snack that both kids and adults would enjoy – just make sure you take enough of the with you!
Are you planning a party soon? What do you have in mind for the party nibbles? Do try out this easy recipe and let me know what you think. If not, why not pin the photo below for future party food or a weekend nibbles for the family with your leftovers. I am constantly using leftover veggies and meat to throw on these for a quick bite to eat for everyone. Let’s not waste food and use it for other tasty recipes.