Caramel sauce is a huge hit in this house and for my husband and I anything salted caramel is even better. I have long made this caramel sauce for desserts in the past but now adding sea salt it’s my go to topping recipe. There is so much you can do with salted caramel sauce whether you are pouring it over your vanilla ice cream sundae or you are drizzling it over your pumpkin spiced cupcakes, it’s going to add a lovely zing to your desserts.
What Can You Use Salted Caramel Sauce For?
Salted caramel sauce never last long in our house. My husband can be caught eating it out of the jar by the spoonfuls. The kids like me to pour it over wax paper and make little salted caramel bites out of it. I like rolling it into mini balls and adding more sea salt on top for a salted caramel truffle style snack. This week we poured it over our cupcakes which were a hit at the MacMillan Coffee Morning on Monday.
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup 200g sugar
- 6 Tbsp 90g salted butter
- 1/2 cup 120ml heavy cream/double cream
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Heat sugar in saucepan on medium
- Stir until sugar clumps eventually melt into a thick brown liquid
- Be careful not to let it burn
- Immediately add butter
- It will bubble, stir cautiously but continuously
- Stir butter until completely melted and mixed in (about two minutes)
- Slowly add heavy cream or double cream, stirring in between, it will bubble
- Boil one minute while continuously stirring until all the cream is mixed in and caramel is thickening
- Remove from heat and add sea salt
- Store in glass jars or pour over your desired desserts
We like to pour it out onto wax paper and let it set to make little caramel bites or pour on cupcake frosting for a special celebration.
If you like this recipe why not pin the photo below to try later and add it to your recipe collection. Don’t forget to tweet me or tag me on instagram if you do try it out and let me know what you think. I will be sure to share it.
The Perfect Homemade Gift
Right now, more than ever, we are trying to maintain our connections and friendships. This simple salted caramel sauce would make a greats gift wrapped in ribbon in small jars. Why not make some and drop it with a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them?