It’s been a long day, and we are all full of a nasty bug so the last thing I want to do is cook a gourmet meal for the whole family. I want something quick, easy, and hearty to lined all our tummies up happily and be done with it. This recipe did just that. It’s one my mother used to make for us when we were kids although I have added more things to it over the years. There are variations to it to suit anyones needs. If you like beef and you like beans than this is the dish for you!
Sloppy Joes with Beef & Beans
- 500 g minced Beef hamburger in USA
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 bell pepper red, yellow or green diced
- 2 cans Heinz beans pork & beans in USA
- 1/4 cup Grated mozzarella cheese
- salt & pepper
- Saute onions in frying pan, with a touch of butter or oil if you prefer
- When they start to caramelize, add the peppers and minced beef
- Cook until complete brown at medium temperature
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Drain any excess grease
- Add your beans to your drained, cooked beef mixture
- Continue to heat on medium, until it's hot and your beans start to crack open
I prefer to use Extra Lean Beef and I never have any to drain so it makes it easier and healthier. Also don't cook it too long or it will become too thick.
For me: I like mine on a hot bun, with grated mozzarella cheese or for lunch in a tortilla wrap with cheese and lettuce.
For Mr P: He likes his on two pieces of toast and red chilli flakes on top.
For Buba: He likes to have toast strips to dip in his and cheese on the side.
As you can see you can eat this many different ways. Don’t like peppers and onions take them out. Prefer it to be more like chilli, add chilli powder to your meat and throw over a bowl of freshly steamed rice. Your options are endless which is my motto for any good, easy family recipe!