It’s summer time, the perfect opportunity to try some lighter bite dinner options. No one wants to eat those heavy comfort foods we all love so dearly in the winter. It’s bikini season. I am all about the rice bowls at the moment too. They are fast, easy, as all my recipes are, as promised by me! They are versatile and you can whip up any variation, you like, depending on what’s left over in the fridge. Now, that’s my kind recipe.
- 500 g diced chicken
- 1 Tbsp cajun spice
- 1 zucchini (courgette)
- 4 cups of steamed white or brown rice
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In frying pan, cook chicken with cajun spice sprinkled over top
- Add red peppers and onions to chicken and cook until chicken is done
- In a grill pan, add oil and slice zucchini long width and lay flat, grill for 30/40 secs
- In a pot, steam rice according to package
- Add rice to the bottom of a bowl
- Add chicken mix on top
- If you find you want to spice it up, add hot BBQ sauce on top!
Cajun Chicken & Grilled Zucchini Rice Bowl
I used white rice on this particular recipe, as that’s what I had in the house at the time. But if you really want to be healthy, use brown rice. Both of my kids love a good rice bowl, yes, it’s messy but I let them dig in.
Want to take this recipe further, heat up some BBQ sauce and pour it over top. Or if you are feeling you need a little more than a lite bite, wrap it up in a tortilla with salsa! The list is endless, what you can do with this recipe.
I am a huge fan of grilled zucchini this year, too! I only wish I had tried it a lot sooner. It definitely will be making more appearances ‘in momma’s kitchen’.
Try it and let me know what you think!