Are you one of the many people out there that find it very difficult to calm down after a very stressful day? The good news here is that you’re not alone, the bad news is that you’re not alone! Nobody should have to feel so upset and stressed out that coming down after a long day is hard.
In fact, calming down should be the easiest thing to do. Unfortunately, calming down in the world we are living in today feels like an impossibility. You should be able to come home from a very long day at the office, put your feet up and relax but that’s not always the case. Instead, you need to figure out what relaxation means to you and how you can do it. The ability to relax isn’t given to everybody, so instead of being stuck over-analysing the little things, here are some ways to relax your mind.
Ways to relax your mind:
- Lean on comfort food. This may sound like an unhealthy behavior but it really isn’t sometimes. Comfort food means different things to different people, but if one of your favorite things to do is curl up with a good book and a bowl of popcorn, or shop around at Eat It Like for your favorite chocolate, then this is a good way to relax. Your brain will be able to associate the delicious senses on your tongue with soothing feelings and making yourself feel good. Having comfort food available to you after a stressful day doesn’t mean you’re going to suddenly become overweight. You need to use your brain when you choose your comfort food
- Play calming music. Distracting and soothing music can help you to relax your body and unclench every muscle that’s along your shoulders and your spine. A playlist of songs that stands out to you to go back to wait another stressful day would also really help. Calming music doesn’t mean you have to dance like a lunatic while it plays, in fact the idea here is to lay back and listen.
- Keep your hands busy. By taking yourself out of work mode and into hobby mode, you are instantly going to be able to relax. The process of drawing, painting, knitting, crocheting, running if that’s what you like to do – all of these things are going to help you to relax your body and take your mind off of the stressful things that are bothering you
- Delight your sense of smell. A plug in diffuser, or aromatherapy oils can really help you to relax after a hard day. You’ll be able to sit back, relax and inhale the delicious smells running through your home and they will be able to help you to calm your mind.
- Run a hot bath. Soaking in warm water helps you to physically relax and releases all of the tension you’ve built-up throughout the day. If you make sure you are using a bath bomb with the right oils or aromatherapy, you can tie this into earlier points of deleting your sense of smell.