This is one of my favorite recipes as I love blackberries. I have been waiting for a chance to share this with you all. As promised, with all my recipes, this is fast, easy, and perfect for the whole family!! These made perfect afternoon snacks at the park and the kids loved the flower shape. Pack them up for a picnic or serve them as dessert after a light dinner.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup fresh blackberries or any alternative berry
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F or 180 C
- Grease muffin tray, or use silicone trays or muffin cases
- In a medium, bowl mix butter and sugar together with a fork
- In a separate bowl, beat together milk and egg
- Add milk/egg mixture slowly to your butter/sugar bowl, mixing in between with a fork
- Add your flour, baking powder, and baking soda
- Do not beat smooth, leave batter slightly lumpy
- In a separate bowl, using a fork, slightly smash blackberries, leaving some whole
- Add to batter and stir in gently, leaving a swirl effect
- Pour batter into muffin tray or cases
- Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown (cooking times may vary in various ovens)
- Cut across the middle, add a thin layer of butter while still warm, and serve with coffee, tea or a glass of cold milk.
If you don't like blackberries, why not try it with blueberries or raspberries, or both for an alternative flavor!
I love baking a lot more than I do cooking, only because I am not so good at the latter yet. But when I am looking for a good recipe to make time and time again and mold into my own, it has to be fast, easy to prepare and something that I can share with the whole family. The first few times I made this, it was a bit too dense and then the taste was off, slowly but surely I found what worked and made into something I make all the time now. That’s the beautiful of baking/cooking you can tweak it to your own taste buds. With a picky family like mine, this is a must! Although, Mr P with his incredibly large sweet tooth, still would prefer these sweeter! Even after I explained it’s a muffin not a cupcake, he wasn’t convince. But the rest of us, my mother in law, included, scarfed them down, no problem. More for us, Mr P! Thank you!
Do you like blackberries? Have any great recipes you have tried out using them? Would love to hear, comment below? Or try my recipe out and let me know what you and your family think!!!
Linking up to Tasty Tuesdays at HonestMum.