I am not a big drinker but when it comes to the holidays I love creating little drinks that I can enjoy that aren’t too strong and perfect for the holiday season. This one I made up by accident really. I was at a party with friends and everyone was drinking the famous orange juice and champagne (mimosas as we call them in the states). I have had a bad reaction to oranges in the past so I stay clear of them. I really wanted to have something different and my friend had a bunch of lemons in her kitchen, so I cut one in half and added it to my champagne. It has evolved a little over time and this has become my favorite combo for my yummy, Fizzy Lemon Cocktail Recipe.
If you have never sugar coats a glass before it’s super easy. Take a wet sponge and wipe around the edge of the glass, gently so it stays wet not wiped. Immediately turn it upside down and place on a plate full of sugar and move it around a little bit. It will coat just the edges perfectly. Depending on the drink you can do the same with salted rims too, especially for those margaritas.I squeeze my lemons straight into a shot glass, less mess and then I know when I have squeezed enough so less waste too. Below you can see I did a lemon twist on a mini skewer, gives it a glamorous feel to it.
Fizzy Lemon Cocktails
For Two Cocktails
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- Prosecco or Champagne of your choice chilled
- 3 lemons
- In a bowl mix your boiling water and sugar until it melts
- Add one shot glass full of freshly squeezed lemon juice (about two lemons)
- Sprinkle extra sugar on a plate and using a wet sponge wet the rip of your martini glass and tip it upside down in the sugar, to coat the outer rim *see photo above
- In your sugar coated martini glass, fill half way with your homemade lemonade and other half with your chilled prosecco or champagne
- Slice a thin piece of lemon off your third lemon, make a slit in the side to dress your drink or twist it on a skewer over the top to complete the look
Sometimes I like to throw a raspberry at the bottom for a festive feel during Christmas time!
If you aren’t a fan of lemon twists or prefer your lemon on the side, just slice halfway through your lemon circle and slip on the edge of your glass.
It really is a great drink to whip up at any special occasion. Having people over soon, try it out and let me know what you think. Tweet me a photo and I will be sure to share it too! Want to make them for festive for Christmas throw a raspberry or cherry at the bottom instead of your lemon twist!