It’s almost Christmas break, what do you have planned with the kids?
With such a busy month almost behind us, it’s time to wind down for the holidays and think of some fun, easy things you can do at home while the kids are off school together.
Christmas Baking With Kids
One of my favorite things to do with the kids is bake in the kitchen when they are off school. They love helping me measure out ingredients and decorate the final treats when they are ready before testing them out. I thought it would be lovely to make some Rice Krispy Christmas Trees. It’s one of the few treats my son can eat due to allergies so I knew it would be safe and fun for us all to make them and festive too. After all, it’s for the holidays.
Simple Rice Krispy Christmas Tree Treats
This recipe for rice krispy treats, like all my recipes is super easy, fun and cheap to make. I get most ingredients at our local Tesco store but for items like the triangle cookie cutter, straight pretzels or cake pop sticks depending on what you want to use for your version, I got from Amazon UK super cheap.
Get The Kids To Help
The kids love attempting to draw with frosting and actually are getting pretty good at it with all the practice from our sugar cookie decorating fest we do each year. Of course, who doesn’t like doing the sprinkles too. Can you see a pattern on some tree baubles? You can bet my son did those! Loves a good pattern in line.
Rice Krispy Christmas Trees
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package 10 oz JET-PUFFED Marshmallows or 4 cups Miniature Marshmallows
- 6 cups Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal
- Green and White Frosting
- Multi-colored chocolate colored sprinkles
- Straight pretzels buy amazon uk or use cake pop sticks
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat
- Add marshmallows and stir until melted, remove from heat
- Add cereal and stir until coated
- Using buttered spatula evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool and cut using a triangle cookie cutter
- Outline triangle in green frosting and two green swirl lines inside triangle as shown
- Use white frosting for three straight lines and immediately add sprinkles for baubles as shown
- Place a yellow sprinkle bean at the top for the star
- Insert straight pretzel or cake pop stick in bottom for the tree trunk
Eat within two days and store in air tight container.
Edible Christmas Gifts
These rice krispy Christmas trees make cute little gifts for the kids to give to their friends. They can wrap each on in some cellophane and tie it with a green or red ribbon before handing it over. They are lovely favours to give at the end of a Christmas party for kids, or lay them out instead of cookies for Santa.
Storing Rice Krispy Treats
In order to keep your home made rice krispy treats at their best they should be stored in an air tight container and eaten with 2 days. Luckily they’re so easy to make, so when you need more you can just cook up another batch!
So what will you do this holiday break with your kids? Do you have anything planned? How about some favorite holiday baking you do with the kids, I would love to know what you are cooking up a storm in the kitchen with them this year? Comment below and do tag me on social media @letstalkmommy on instagram, twitter, facebook, or pinterest if you try my recipe out. I love resharing your version of my recipes too.
Don’t have time now to make this fun recipe, pin the image below for later!
You can find more family fun recipes to do with the kids in my recipe section on this blog. I love making recipes but I also am a very busy mom and like to make them easy, fast and friendly for the whole family to love. I would love to hear what you think of them, if you try one out. Shout out!