It’s Autumn and with it comes oh-halloween!!! There is something so special about Autumn. I wouldn’t say I love it more than summer, who loves anything more than summer but it’s such a great time of the year to celebrate. The scarves come out, the winter boots get dusted off, and the oven is baking away through the holidays.
October also brings us carving pumpkins for the much celebrated Halloween! While I love Halloween it’s self, trick or treating, dressing the kids up and handing out candy, I also love carving pumpkins. We tend to carve quite a few pumpkins each year and with that comes a plethora of seeds to dispose of but wait don’t throw them in the trash. That’s just wasteful. Why not try my simple roasted pumpkin seeds recipe below. They are crunchy, they are salty, and very delicious!
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- One medium/large pumpkin
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Clean out your pumpkin into a bowl and separate the seeds from the pumpkin
- Wash your seeds off
- Using a measuring cup, measure your seeds and place in saucepan
- For every 1/2 cup of seeds use 2 cups of water & 1 Tbsp of salt
- Bring salt and seeds to a boil, simmer for ten minutes
- Drain and pat dry on a towel
- Coat a cookie sheet with extra virgin olive oil (about 1 to 1 1/2 tsp)
- Lay the seeds on top of the oil and use a brush to coat the top of them
- Sprinkle a little extra salt on top if you like them salty
- Bake in the oven on 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown
I like my seeds salty and crunchy so I cook them a little longer and add the salt on top. Up to you!
I like to keep mine in a tightly sealed jar so they last. Then when you have guests over you can make a great tray of nibbles with them like I did below. If you like sunflower seeds you will love these.
So while you are scraping out those pumpkins to carve, set aside those seeds and insides and make use of them later. The kids will love washing them and helping you bake them for a yummy treat after you are done carving. Or bag them up with some ribbon and give as gifts to friends and family and spread the holiday cheer!
Want to know a trick for carving those fancy pumpkin characters for your kids click here…also enter to WIN Oxo Good Grips Fruit Scoop Set, which make it so easy to carve out your seeds!
We carved Olaf & Doc McStuffins this year, what are you carving?