We are in full swing of hot summer here in America with BBQs being fired up left and right. This week I got the chance to whip up a batch of my balsamic watermelon salad to share with friends and family which is perfect for a BBQ or even an afternoon treat to cool off! The kids love it, minus the jalapeños and the adults are surprised at the tasty combination. There are many ways you can alter this too. I also love making homemade balsamic vinaigrette, it’s so easy and fast so I have added the recipe here too!
Balsamic Watermelon Salad
- 1 small watermelon
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup cubed feta cheese
- 1 jalapeño
- 1/2 cup fresh arugula
- Balsamic dressing
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped shallot
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Making the salad
- Cut watermelon into large pieces, save the rind for serving
- In large bowl, toss all ingredients together
- Pour ingredients out onto a large tray
- Drizzle balsamic vinaigrette dressing on top to your specifications
Making the dressing
- In a blender, mix vinegar, shallot, mustard, syrup on high
- Add olive slowly, while continuing to blend until combined
- Use up to 5 days, keep refrigerated.
*Serve on a plate, or on the watermelon rind
At first you might think this is a funny combination of flavors, but overall I think each ingredient really compliments each other. As with all my recipes, it’s fast, easy and family friendly. Just be sure to not rub your eyes after cutting the jalapeños as I did, it isn’t pretty and so painful. A complete rookie mistake but a little trick my momma taught me, sprinkle salt on your hands and wash them under cold water. It should remove the jalapeño juice from them.
I love saving the watermelon rind, to serve on. Its a great way to display it for a buffet or at a BBQ. Also, makes it easy for people to get their own individual salads as I used mini watermelons, the rinds are small. If you use normal size watermelon it will be too big for serving but great to use as a platter.