You need to pay attention on regular carpet cleaning even if you are extremely careful and never dilute the dirt. Cleaning is necessary mainly due to the systematic accumulation of dust, which collects in all hard-to-reach places and pollutes not only furniture or floors, but also the air. This is one of the reasons why the carpet and rugs need to be cleaned, even if there is no trace of dirt on it.
Regardless of how dirty the carpets are, when cleaning, it is worth remembering a few simple rules that can significantly save you time. The implementation of these recommendations does not guarantee the automatic appearance of impeccable cleanliness, but much less effort is required to put the house in order. Let’s list the basic rules:
Using brushes with stiff bristles
When cleaning the carpet, you can safely use a stiff brush. It is recommended to use it to get rid of stains: treat the dirty area with detergent and wipe it off with a brush. However, it is important not to overdo it – too strong or frequent use of this method will harm rather than help – the material will fade or deteriorate.
Drying after cleaning procedures
After damp cleaning, or washing away stains, the carpet must be dried. This cannot be avoided for several reasons. Firstly, if the carpet remains wet for a long time, there is a risk of mould formation. Second, a damp surface is great for turning dust into slush, which is more difficult to get rid of. You can dry the carpet in different ways, for example, open the windows or turning on the fan.
Removing fresh stains
Removing a fresh stain is much easier than an old one. Some stains cannot be cleaned after drying. Check the use of any store-bought products on a small invisible piece. Chemical cleaning agents can give unpredictable results – discolour the pattern, spoil the structure of the carpet. To prevent this from happening, it is better to test them on that part of the coating that is not visible to strangers, and even better – on a separate piece of the same material.
Effective Domestic Carpet Cleaning Methods
If you do not have special detergents at hand, you can use old proven products.
- Soda and salt. The most popular cleaning methods involve using one of these products. To get rid of stains, you need to sprinkle the carpet with salt or soda (optional), rub it with a damp brush, and after a couple of hours rinse with warm water.
- Laundry soap. To get rid of stains, dilute a small amount of laundry soap in warm water and treat the stain with the resulting solution. The solution is washed off with clean water. If necessary, the procedure is repeated, but not immediately, so as not to spoil the material.
- Ammonia. You can remove greasy stains and traces of blood with an ammonia solution. To do this, you need to mix a spoonful of ammonia and a litre of water. The resulting solution should be used to treat the stain, and then wash the carpet.
- Beer can also help get rid of stains, but you need to be careful with it – if used incorrectly, the result will be the formation of an unpleasant smell and new traces. The beer must be warmed up, add a tablespoon of soda and salt each, mix and treat the stains with the resulting solution. Then the solution must be washed off with water.
- Vinegar. A solution of vinegar allows the material to return to its bright colours, and a solution of a tablespoon of soda, 4 tablespoons of vinegar and half a glass of water will help remove stubborn dirt.
Despite their effectiveness, none of the mentioned cleaning methods can be compared to steam carpet cleaning. Undoubtedly, this is the most beneficial method of cleaning that will restore your carpet to brand new condition and will disinfect it.
No harmful chemicals are being used during the process of hot water extraction carpet cleaning. The high temperature water vapour destroys the bacteria and allergens, leaving the surface semi-dry. If there are stains on your carpet, additional stain removal will be performed.
Many professional carpet cleaning London based companies are well equipped with powerful preparations and trained staff, capable to cope with any problem on your carpet. Remember that using carpet cleaning services is not a luxury – this is a helpful assistant any carpet owners should use minimum once a year. Deep carpet cleaning will prolong the exploitation life of your carpeting and will ensure a pleasant atmosphere in your home.
Check out my 6 Tips to Cleaning Out Your Wardrobe too!