I have to say one of my favorite dishes to make for guests coming over to my house is my famous meatloaf muffins. I swear I have made meatloaf a trillion different ways and this recipe seems to be my favorite flavor combination for it. I create them in a muffin mold so they cook faster and I am not waiting two hours for the oven to finish to feed the family or guests over. Call me impatient. I also think they are like giant meatballs this way instead of slices of what looks like dog food I have been told. Trust me, this dish is one of those that tastes WAY BETTER than it looks. Making food styling very challenging for me which is why this isn’t flooded with amazing magazine styled photos that I love to do for all my recipes.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 c. finely chopped onion
- 1/2 c. finely chopped carrot
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 c. ketchup or tomato puree
- 2 lbs. ground beef extra lean
- 1 c. finely crushed saltine crackers or bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. american mustard
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- pinch of black pepper and garlic salt
- 1/4 c. finely chopped green peppers
- 2 large eggs
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (about 180 degrees C.)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add diced onions, diced carrot, diced green peppers and oregano spice.
- Sauté about a minute and half and cool.
- Combine 1/2 the amount of ketchup or tomato puree to remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a large bowl.
- Add sautéed mixture.
- Coat muffin tray with cooking spray. I use one calorie spray.
- Scoop the meat mixture into a muffin tray using an ice cream scooper or large spoon.
- Top each meatloaf muffin with remaining ketchup or tomato puree.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until thermometer reaches 160 degrees f.
- Start checking them at 25 minutes if your oven cooks fast.
- Let stand for 4 minutes before serving.
Try my egg free meatloaf too!
Why not try my Country Mash Potatoes recipe along with your meatloaf muffins. They are a perfect match made in heaven. I hope you have enjoyed this American dish and try it out. Don’t forget to pin it for later to try out and if you do try it, please let me know what you think.